Wednesday, 22 September 2010

Life Drawing (Yesterdays work)

Yesterday we watched David Cronenberg's vision of the Fly which was extremely gruesome but touching in places due to superb acting from Jeff Goldblum as he changes into a fusion of man and fly. This is not my review of the film I will post this tomorrow with my review of the original Fly. After watching the Fly we went down to a studio to do some life drawing, which turned out to be different from previous encounters with it. In previous sessions I've used many materials which I am not overly comfortable with using, (charcoal really makes me cringe!!) but we were told to grab a pencil or use any media we were comfortable with. I really enjoyed this life drawing session as it wasn't so manic and speedy like previous sessions, but I'm sure that when the class have gone through more sessions we will be challenged.

 The first drawing that we were asked to do was a 30 minute exercise  of a pose where the model was slighted twisted.

This was my first attempt at drawing the model. (Not finished with time)

The first picture I drew of the model I feel I was very cautious, I didn't go into too much detail on features such as the face and I struggled with drawing the hands which fortunately in this project I will be able to visit this in the coming weeks and build upon this weakness. I feel that for a first cautious attempt I am pleased with the result as I feel i captured the shape of the body well but I do realise I need to work at improving the weakness I have in drawing hands and feet.

After this thirty minute pose of the model we had a browse around the room at the different interpretations of the models pose. There were a few people who chose not to use pencil, a particular drawing used coloured oil pastels it seemed to produce a stand out piece. After we had a look around the model was back in the middle of the class but this time we were given three drawings to do on one sheet of paper but in time slots of 20 minutes. A bit more challenging this time but I felt more confidence after the first drawing.

This is my first drawing of the twenty minute drawings

In this drawing hand was closest to me and knowing that drawing them is a weakness I decided to try to actually draw the hand. From this drawing I came to the conclusion that my shading technique needs working on to bring out the shape of the hand better but I am still quite happy with how it turned out. I did struggle with the angle of the face and from this drawing I should develop my drawings on different perspectives of the face. Overall I am pleased with the drawing I feel that I have captured the pose well.

 2nd drawing of the 20 minute exercise

This is my favourite of my drawings throughout the session. I feel my shading came alive more in this drawing after viewing other classmates work and becoming inspired to go out of my comfort zone. Not so far as dealing with the hand of the model however as I found it to be in such an awkward shape I ignored it. I feel however the proportions of the model are much better here and this drawing has given me a lot more confidence for future life drawing classes.

3rd and final drawing of the exercise

This drawing really doesn't look like much really fought with the paper on this one. I think I'm allowed to have one disaster out of the session........
Basically with this drawing I could not get my head around the pose at all and I suppose I ended up frustrated in the end and accepted defeat. This drawing shows me that I need to work on weakness of perspective on figures which fortunately I with this project and I'm sure I will revisit in later life drawing sessions.

Overall I enjoyed the first session of life drawing and look forward to being taught methods to aid me in developing my skills in later sessions and in my general work. I have learnt that I do need to work on my perspective of certain parts of the anatomy as I struggle with hands, faces at certain angles and feet (mainly the toes).

1 comment:

  1. The picture of the woman's back to you is very good, especially considering its pretty hard drawing the back of people.

    well done ^^

    ReplyDelete